Super Sweet Potato Toast: Two Ways
1 Japanese sweet potato cut in half
Avocado oil or spray (I used Chosenfoods)
Cashew butter (I used Artisanaorganics)
Goji berries (I used Navitasorganics)
Raw shelled hemp hearts (I used Manitobaharvest)
1/2 an avocado
2 eggs (I used Vitalfarms)
Unsweetened coconut shreds
1 banana (sliced)
3 strawberries (sliced)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
2. Spray pan with avocado oil and spray the non-skin side of the potatoes with avocado oil (I poked holes in the potatoes with my knife to help them cook all the way through)
3. Bake potatoes in the oven for about 25 minutes then broil on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes (or until golden brown on top)
4. Bring a pot of water and eggs (with shell) to a boil and cook for 4 minutes
5. Mash the avocado and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper
6. For the savory sweet potato slice, top with the mashed avocado and one egg (cut in half, sprinkle with more salt and pepper if desired)
7. For the sweet slice, spread the cashew butter, place the banana and strawberry slices, top with more cashew butter, hemp hearts, goji berries, and coconut shreds
I made this breakfast on day five of my whole30 challenge. I have to admit, it has definitely been one of the more filling breakfasts, filled with protein, healthy fats and of course delicious taste! I know many people think they don't have time to make delicious food, especially for breakfast, but take it from someone who made this and made it to work by 8 AM!
Here's how I do it: my alarm clock rings at 5:45 AM, I snooze then finally get out of bed around 6 AM. Before even brushing my teeth and washing my face, I go into the kitchen, turn on the oven, and get my potatoes in there to save me some time! Then while they are baking I start my morning routine (washing face, brushing teeth, etc.). Then I go back into the kitchen and get my toppings ready while the potatoes are finishing up. They are ready before 7 and I have enough time to get all my toppings on there, snap a quick pic, and sit down for a delicious meal before getting ready to leave my apartment by 7:30 AM!
Breakfast is not only my favorite meal of the day, but it's also the most important one! The food I eat in the morning gives me energy and makes me feel good about the rest of my day and especially those busy mornings. So remember that you can always make time for breakfast!